As one of the larger engineering companies in the stunningly beautiful “lifestyle” region of Nelson Tasman, we take pride in our engineering excellence and innovation, and attracting and working with the best people our industry has to offer.
We offer opportunities to design, manufacture, install and repair a wide range of engineering solutions and products. With a strong focus on helping our clients to increase productivity, we have been developing new machinery for forestry, farming, viticulture, horticulture and other primary industries and heavy transport organisations for many years.
Employment and Training
The Trinder Group is built on the foundations of strong family values. We invest in our people to inspire and equip them with skills to be the best they can be in their chosen field. Safe working and well-being are always a top priority for us.
All Trinder staff are encouraged to continue training and upskilling throughout their career with us. We currently support over 20 apprentices and others who are working through engineering degrees and as emerging professionals.
Current Vacancies at Trinder
We are always on the lookout for experienced and passionate trade stuff who take great pride in their workmanship. Where would you like to work?
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Job Advert
About the Opportunity:
Due to remarkable growth in Trinder Engineers’ outward facing R&D, engineering and consulting operations, we wish to appoint a seasoned and results-driven Senior Design Engineer with a professional standing and exceptional portfolio of project experiences – to help us steer the company into this new business era.
Our expansion goals have been carefully aligned with themes of high regional and national importance – leading to new business opportunities, products, services and markets. To fulfil these exciting prospects our focus has necessarily shifted to growing and realigning our Research, Innovation & Design capabilities, in unison, to meet these expanding and increasingly important business activities.
Consequently, we are looking to appoint an outstanding Senior Design Engineer to work within our dynamic and integrated Research, Innovation & Design team. We work closely with local industries, consultants, research providers and Universities to source technically rich, challenging, and exciting projects – supported by a tight collegial team of passionate and highly qualified engineers, academics, scientists and designers.
We want only the best in our journey towards being the best.
Our senior design engineers work proactively and collaboratively with clients, staff and other networked experts to provide comprehensive project management and high-level fit for purpose engineering solutions.
The appointee must bring a depth of professional expertise and a developed breadth of engineering design capability, cross-discipline technological knowledge and practical Design for Manufacturing (DFM) experience to all projects within their involvement furthermore , they have experience in producing compliant design solutions which meet or exceed New Zealand engineering standards and approved code of practice.
You will need to formulate valid and viable design solutions quickly through having an acute understanding of mechanical systems, assemblies, details, manufacturing operations and available technologies. This will be underpinned by your innate sense for everything mechanical and intuition into what will ‘work’ first time. You must be able to apply your insight and gain an early impression of cost efficiency and fitness for purpose in the design project you’ll manage.
Naturally, as a highly effective designer, you’ll need to be comfortable working independently whilst overseeing the work of other colleagues and responding to new and ongoing client requests. We believe in sharing knowledge and nurturing our junior/up-coming staff in a professional and collegial environment.
The team are invested in the SolidWorks suite of design tools.
Design staff report to the Departmental Manager.
This role is full time – 40 hours per week.
Responsibilities will include:
- Exhibit a range of engineering, mechanical and machine design knowledge and skill sets.
- Mentor and guide colleagues, particularly junior staff.
- Provide project leadership – reporting, managing resources and budgets.
- Working closely with existing clients to continually build those relationships and to also help establish a new client base.
- Provide hands-on involvement with total life cycle engineering projects, including concepting through to onsite commissioning, testing and validation.
- Produce fit-for-purpose design solutions.
- Work efficiently, effectively and with innovation.
- Provide a well-developed base of interpersonal and technical communication skills.
- Demonstrate a proactive and professional working nature.
- Able to accept guidance, peer review and own your decisions/mistakes.
- Act with professionalism, integrity, humility, honesty, conviction and passion.
This role will suit someone with the following background/experience/qualities:
- BE or equivalent, ideally complemented with an allied trade certificate or relevant post graduate qualification and/or CPEng or current equivalent registration.
- At least 10 years of mechanical engineering design experience, of which 5 years must have been spent leading projects.
- A proven ability to take responsibility for the financial viability and profitability of projects under your management.
- Considerable work-based practical knowledge and hands-on experience in mechanical engineering, particularly aligned with engineering design and also evident in your leisure time activities.
- A demonstrated range of diverse mechanical project experiences will be essential.
- Must be an advanced SolidWorks user and proficient with PDM and ideally Simulation – all in a competitive commercial environment.
- Competent with the Microsoft Office suite of software
- Time efficient working practices with demonstrated abilities to work to strict deadlines.
- Experience of working in an innovative and progressive environment and able to ‘think outside the square’ but within context of commercial realities.
- Strong communicator, an intent listener and able to produce high quality technical documents and engineering drawings.
- Enjoy being a key contributor in a winning team.
About the Company:
Trinder Engineers is a proud firm that strives to uphold family values – caring for our customers, colleagues and community. Our team deliver fit for purpose, innovative and practical engineering solutions for todays and tomorrows business challenges.
With approximately 100 employees working across the jobbing, industrial plant maintenance, structural steelwork, forestry equipment and fit out, heavy truck and trailer repair and new build, agriculture and vineyard equipment manufacture – we have a strong focus on increased productivity and have been developing new machinery for forestry, heavy transport and more recently aquaculture.
What they will offer:
- An opportunity to work on a diverse range of exciting and challenging design/engineering projects.
- Job security.
- Health insurance package.
- Competitive remuneration based on experience.
- Premier NZ location to live, work and play.
- Be part of a friendly, passionate and visionary team.
- Join us on a journey of outstanding achievements and opportunities.
To find out more:
To apply for this position, you will need to provide evidence that you have NZ residency or a valid work visa. A full driver’s license is preferred but not essential. A formal offer of employment is subject to our standard pre-employment checks including health, medical and other background checks.
For more information regarding this role and a copy of the position description, please email Kerry Hill.
- Cover letter
- Current CV
- Indicate the notice period you’ll need to serve, and the time taken to be available for work in Richmond NZ