As one of the larger engineering companies in the stunningly beautiful “lifestyle” region of Nelson Tasman, we take pride in our engineering excellence and innovation, and attracting and working with the best people our industry has to offer.
We offer opportunities to design, manufacture, install and repair a wide range of engineering solutions and products. With a strong focus on helping our clients to increase productivity, we have been developing new machinery for forestry, farming, viticulture, horticulture and other primary industries and heavy transport organisations for many years.
Employment and Training
The Trinder Group is built on the foundations of strong family values. We invest in our people to inspire and equip them with skills to be the best they can be in their chosen field. Safe working and well-being are always a top priority for us.
All Trinder staff are encouraged to continue training and upskilling throughout their career with us. We currently support over 20 apprentices and others who are working through engineering degrees and as emerging professionals.
We are a dynamic company that invests in it people and always on the lookout for experienced and passionate trade staff who take great pride in their workmanship. Where would you like to work?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our expanding Research, Innovation & Design Team in our Gladstone Road Workshops. The role is predominantly office based but will require close collaborations with our trades staff, enabled by Trinder having a large workshop and the design team under one roof. Working alongside our diverse team of professional design engineers, the appointee will lead projects and provide practical, fit for purpose engineering solutions to our valued clients (external and internal).
The role will allow the successful candidate to see their projects through to completion, across a wide variety of primary industries, including general engineering, wood processing, horticulture, forestry, heavy transport, aquaculture, and other sectors. Also, our research and development focus means we frequently have stimulating opportunities to explore new ideas and technologies whilst working on original, innovative products and machinery. No two days will be the same at Trinder.
For this role, you will ideally have the following key skills:
- Degree qualified Mechanical Engineer or trade qualified with significant career design experience
- At least 7 years’ relevant career experience
- A good knowledge of the New Zealand Standards and design codes
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with staff and clients
- Highly competent in 3D Mechanical Design – modelling and productions drawing output in SolidWorks + PDM
- An ability to perform computational design analyses (FEA) on parts and systems would be an advantage
- Project management experience
To apply for this position, you will need to provide evidence that you have NZ residency or a valid work visa. A full drivers license is preferred but not essential. A formal offer of employment is subject to our standard pre-employment checks including health, medical and other background checks.
For more information regarding this role and a copy of the position description, please email Emily Hoult – Emily@trinder.co.nz
Opportunities exist for two graduating Mechanical Engineering students, to join the Trinder/Waimea Group as Engineering Designers.
1 x Mechanical Engineering Designer
1 x Transport Engineering Designer
Over the past 5 years, the Trinder Group has taken on seven engineering students. This count includes two students who are now permanent employees (Mechanical Design Engineers) and on a professional career path. Two have also benefitted from the support of the Trinder Group to successfully gain their Master of Engineering (Mechanical) degrees, in collaboration with Callaghan Innovation and the University of Canterbury. The others have moved on to enjoy professional careers in their own interest.
With over 60 years of trading history in Nelson, the Trinder Group is a progressive company with three sites and a team of 90+ staff with a focus on increasing productivity across a large range of industries within the primary, transport and construction sectors. As a dedicated and forward-thinking engineering partner we see our job as enabling stakeholders to better serve their industry and customers.
The successful candidate(s) will be primarily based within our design teams where they will work on joint and individual tasks, ranging from machine/transport design and analysis to drawing production and project management. There will also be research and innovation responsibilities, focused on new product developments. Both posts are permanent.
What you can expect as an employee at the Trinder Group:
- The cumulative experience and professional standing of our Design and R&D Teams provides a great environment for an emerging Design Engineer to grow and evolve.
- Variety of work from across a range of industry sectors
- Design office experience and exposure to Research & Development
- Flexible working environment
- Working in a tightly knit collaborative team
- Professional career guidance, planning and development
- Support – The Trinder Group has a supportive culture that will encourage you to learn from our highly skilled, culturally diverse Design Engineers
- Seeing projects through from concept, through manufacturing to completion
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Student who is about to graduate
- Proven academic abilities and demonstrated practical experience / skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and as an individual, where everyone strives to deliver outstanding results
- Eagerness to learn on the job
- A commitment and real passion for Mechanical Engineering Design
- Outstanding communication skills
If you meet the above student profile and are interested in joining our R&D Team over the 2023/2024 Summer, please send your application to: Dr David Aitchison, Research & Innovation Manager via Emily Hoult – Emily@trinder.co.nz